Pages

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Cookies!

Well after stumbling across my new favorite blog Bake at 350 about a week ago, I have been DYING to try my hand at using Royal Icing for cookie decorating.  Luckily, I do have some experience with decorating, so I felt semi-confident that I would not fail miserably.  I have never made cookies that involved rolling them out, I've always been a drop cookie type girl. 

First things first:  None of the recipes I used are my own.  I used both recipes from Bake at 350, This cookie recipe (scroll down), and this Royal Icing recipe (and lots of good tips).  I also watched countless Vlogs (Video blogs... I had never heard that term before, clearly I am new at  this) on University of Cookie, like these!

I wouldn't even claim to try to show technique, so please take a peep at the links above for how-tos and what not... this is just my adventures in cookie making!

(Just one more disclaimer:  This is the first time I have even had my own blog, so I am still figuring out how to do it... please excuse any weird formatting, or simple setup until I get it looking as pretty as some of the other ones out there!)

OK, onto the good stuff...

My beautiful stand mixer, which I got last Christmas


cut cut cut

My hubby took over the camera for some "action" shots. 



Outlining...need to practice that some more.  Also may have over beaten the icing,
it was a little "drier" than I expected.


After looking at all the awesome Ideas at Bake At 350, I had to try them!
Love the 3rd heart from the left.

Showed my sister how to do this, and these look awesome...
Love how they make little hearts!

All in a days work!



So I think today was an awesome first shot.  Definitely some things to work on (piping, consistency) but I learned a lot.

Three things I got out of this:
One, There are ENDLESS possibilities.  Two, It's a bit messy, but I think once I get the hang of what needs to be done, I can make it more orderly.  And most importantly I'm going to need more counter space... because this was a lot of fun!

I got to use some of the extra icing on some wax paper to play with some ideas I have for later on... stay tuned over the next few months!


2 comments:

  1. OMG! I'm so late on this train but I LOVE this blog already!! You do incredible work for someone who is just starting... can't wait to reap the benefit of all your baking efforts :) :) <3 <3 <3 love you!

    ReplyDelete