Pages

Friday, August 5, 2011

Wilton Cake Class

Hi All,

Long time no post.  It's been a busy few weeks at work and at home.  Plus, with the heat we've had (and my lack of air-conditioned kitchen) I haven't been doing much creating.

I did, however, take the second of the Wilton Cake Decorating classes at Michael's.  It was a lot of fun.  This class was smaller than my others, only 2 other people, so we got to go at a good pace, and she even showed us a few extra things since we were quick to learn.

This class we did a little with gumpaste and fondant, which, while pretty, I'm not a huge fan of, because it doesn't taste good.  Though she did give us a recipe for Marshmallow fondant that she said actually is pretty good.  The other classes we used Royal Icing (which I'm already really familiar with) to make Apple Blossoms, Violets, Daffodils, Lilies, and Roses. 

Then for the final class, we learned how to make a basket weave, and got to assemble our cakes with all the flowers we made.

Here is mine:




I was very pleased with it.  While the flowers don't taste that great, they look pretty, and they hold up pretty well.  The cake was Chocolate with a Chocolate filling.  The icing was a vanilla buttercream.

I'm hoping to do some cookie baking this weekend since the weather will be cooler, and later this month I'll be making my sister's birthday cake. She requested a cake after seeing my flag cake... I'm honored, since my sister doesn't usually want cake for her birthday.  She usually wants cannoli.  I have a few ideas up my sleeve to make sure she gets something great!  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment