Pages

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Blueberry Zucchini Bread

I haven't done much baking since Henry came into the world... just can't find the time!  While Dan was on vacation, we made our first trip with Henry to Maine!  While there, we got some real Maine blueberries... the good ones, the little, sweet ones!  

So, the blueberries came home with me, and I wanted to do something different with them (we're usually just big fans of blueberry pancakes in our house).  I also had a gigantic zucchini from the farm stand.  I thought, hmm... I bet Zucchini bread with blueberries would be good.  And you know what, it was!  Lol.  I search for a recipe, and there were a few, but none quite what I wanted.  So I took my favorite Zucchini bread recipe, made a few small changes, and added the berries.  It was a hit.  Kids ate it, not realizing there were veggies in it (though technically, zucchini is a fruit, but whatever!).  Even my dad, who "doesn't like zucchini" liked it... granted, he thought it was pumpkin bread because of the spices.  



        (No picture.... I've been too busy taking pictures of my little man to take pictures of food!)


Blueberry Zucchini Bread

3 eggs
1 and 1/4 cups sugar 
2 cups finely shredded zucchini (drained) 
1/2 cup vegetable oil 
1/2 cup applesauce (or you can just use a whole cup oil if you want)
2 teaspoons vanilla 
3 cups flour 
1 teaspoon salt 
1 teaspoon baking soda 
1 teaspoon baking powder 
2 teaspoons cinnamon 
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg 
1/4 teaspoon clove 
1 cup blueberries


1. Preheat oven to 325 and grease two 9 x 5 bread pans, or one bundt pan. 


**Just a note about using the Bundt pan... make sure you grease it REALLY well.  I use Crisco to make sure I get a good release.  This time, however, I was a little hasty when trying to get the bread out, and ripped it.  Make sure you let it cool before trying to release the bread, since the warm bread is more likely to break apart.

2. Beat eggs until foamy and then stir in sugar, zucchini, oil and vanilla. 

3. Combine dry ingredients (reserving 2 tablespoons of flour) and spices and gradually add to wet ingredients.

4. In a bowl, add the reserved flour to the blueberries (this keeps them from sinking to the bottom of the batter), and fold into the batter. 

5. Pour into prepared pan(s). 

6. Bake for 60 to 80 minutes or until center tests done.

No comments:

Post a Comment